Recognising that many of our members are struggling with the repercussions of COVID-19, SSA is pleased to offer the following members-only webinar:
Strategies for managing our mental health & well-being during COVID times.
Presented by Desiree Dickerson, PhD.
About this event:
We explore the many ways that our community are trying navigate their roles and their well-being during the various phases of this pandemic. We highlight the need to:
· Give yourself permission (to be where you are and feel what you feel!)
· Set a solid foundation,
· How to manage our own expectations and the expectations of those around us,
· Identify our red flags (our first signs of stress),
· Learn how to de-escalate our thoughts, sensations, and emotions when we feel overwhelmed or stressed,
· Navigate uncertainty and worry.
About the presenter
As a former postdoctoral researcher in the neurosciences and a clinical psychologist Desiree has worked at both ends of the spectrum - from (lab) bench to bedside. Her goal is to take the best of neuroscience, behavioural economics, and psychological practice and break it down into meaningful, practical tools to help academics to:
· Achieve peak performance in highly challenging, high-stress environments.
· Maintain their well-being whilst striving for excellence.
· Dial down the toxic comparison to everyone else.
· Lose the guilt that distracts us while we work and robs us of our ability to relax.
· Learn to see their strengths and enjoy the highs and to stop amplifying the negatives.
After working in research in New Zealand, Australia, and Austria, Desiree now lives in Spain with her young family and spends her time helping academic institutions and academics themselves pursuit a healthier approach to research.
This event is free, but you do need to register. A Zoom link will be emailed to you closer to the event.